coolant drain on a 2017 base model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant drain on a 2017 base model

I need to put in an inline fitting in the upper rad hose (front LHS of engine) where is the drain plug for the system? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by TVG View Post
    I need to put in an inline fitting in the upper rad hose (front LHS of engine) where is the drain plug for the system? Thanks in advance.
    Just consulted the shop manual 2.23 - Coolant-Drain

there is no drain fitting in the radiator
    manual says to place drain pan underneath the lower radiator hose on the right front
    drain coolant from radiator by removing the lower coolant hose from the radiator

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	10261* this is the lower front radiator that u drain the system from
    * you see that we moved the factory clamp
    to the front and replaced with a worm clamp
    WHY ? because when your bike sits & becomes cold, u can see see seepage from the factory clamp - it ain't tight enough

.................................................. ................... tom n carol

Last edited by MISTERZ06; 05-24-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Hello TVG
      your post reads that we think you are going to put a temp gauge in the upper radiator return hose
      this is not the most accurate place to read the coolant temperature - this is the coolest water in the system coming out of the radiator
      we suggest that you put it in the heater hose loop
      i will post pictures we have installed temp-reading fittings in both places

by putting it in the heater--hose loop, you get the hottest, most up-to-date reading, since you are getting the temp of water in the engine- this the un-cooled water, that has not passed thru the radiator
      if you only use the top-return radiator hose - you have to wait for the thermostat to open- which can take at least ten minutes to read warm to hot coolant
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0741.JPG Views:	1 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	10257
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0742.JPG Views:	1 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	10258
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0743.JPG Views:	1 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	10259
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0744.JPG Views:	1 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	10260

...................................... tom n carol
      Last edited by MISTERZ06; 05-24-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

pics of temp reading adapter in the upper radiator hose -coolest water in system
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285.JPG
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	10263Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.JPG
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	10264Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.JPG
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	10265
        .................................................. ........... tom n carol
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks a bunch! I'll do that then.

Comment

Working...
          X