back fender design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back fender design

i'm new to posting, but wanted to share my latest project. rear fender with optional lighting with the ability to change the tire without removal of the fender. after driving it for a while, it really helps control dust and debris. what do you think?
    optional lights installed

Like it where and how much? Tried a metal fender but that kept breaking welds and bolts.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, Worewren!
      The pictured fender is only a first prototype, helping establish fit and installation process. Your impression is important to us because this is currrently our only platform for first evaluation of product form and structure. We're not ready to release before more testing and some minor refinements. I'd expect production to be over a month out. The Shark Fin is molded in high impact thermoplastic (ABS) and is mounted to the body... not the swing arm. This design minimizes road shock to the part and does not increase vehicle unsprung weight. Parts, when released, will ship from Paramount Plastics in Elkhart, Indiana.

I'll continue posting feature and availability updates on the Forum. Paul

Comment

BTW- Price is not finalized. I expect the under-$600 neighborhood. Paul

Comment

irishdesign - - - very nice - - looking good - - innovative
          we would all like to see how you mounted it to the body
          "there is a lot of vibration back there" - - -
          good luck ........... tom n carol

Comment

Worewren - - - -
            carol n i are having great luck with our 2nd-time-modified-steel-fender
            welding with fender support is important - we used 1/2 solid steel rod this
            time - - - have 500 miles on it and all is well
            .................................................. ......... tom n carol

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0698.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	5980 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	5981 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.JPG
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	5982 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0724.JPG
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	5983

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, tom n carol. The fender is mounted to the chassis (3 screws directly above the swingarm pivot point) through the polypropylene center back panel. Additional fasteners attach higher up on the same panel and pass through a molded backer plate (stiffenr) placed behind the panel, located near the fuel tank. The fender does not move with the wheel and receives much less road shock.

Best,

Paul.

Comment

Awesome - - - we are glad it is working well
                if you cold post more pics - - we would appreciate to see your
                craftmanship
                .................................................. ........... tom n carol

Name:	SURPRISE1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	6000

Comment

Name:	DSC05163.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	6002 I'll post product evolution and detached part pictures when I return to my home and as I continue refining. This side shot shows that the fender appears to grow out of the body work, not up from the swingarm. When the rear chassis is jacked off the floor the rear suspension extends, allowing the tire to clear the fender for easy wheel removal.

Comment

• Zoup2nuts
                    Zoup2nuts commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ...I too love the looks and the materials used. Having it separate from the swing-arm is an excellent idea. I'll look forward to hearing about test results. Thanks, Bob..

irishdesign - - - - - thank-you for sharing
                  .................................................. ........ tom n carol

Comment

The lines suit the SS great....and with that light..good for people to see you...as with all these options...price is paramount,,,under 6bills is fine...but 4-5..would be a homerun..

Comment

To rich form me I'm a teacher!

Comment

I first added the corbin saddle bags tha have an intergrated fender but the mud and gravel still flung up and over the back deck, roof and even the hood. I decided to make my own addtion, I found a huge plastic fender on line for a truck that had the correct radius. I then cut out 8" from the middle, carefully sanded and aligned the remaining two halfs then glued it back together. It is light and bolts through the two indents on the Corbin fender so it comes off quickly.

No more mud and I think it compliments the overall look.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrd View Post
                          I first added the corbin saddle bags tha have an intergrated fender but the mud and gravel still flung up and over the back deck, roof and even the hood. I decided to make my own addtion, I found a huge plastic fender on line for a truck that had the correct radius. I then cut out 8" from the middle, carefully sanded and aligned the remaining two halfs then glued it back together. It is light and bolts through the two indents on the Corbin fender so it comes off quickly.

No more mud and I think it compliments the overall look.
                          WELL-DONE
                          Looks Great

Name:	Awesome1.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	9892
                          .................................................. ..... tom n carol

Comment

Working...
                          X